Thursday, September 13, 2007

My First One

Today is the 22nd anniversary of the release of Super Mario Bros, the video game that changed the world. Think about it. This video game involving 2 Italian Plumbers (from Japan) set the bar for all games to come. Before SMB games were played on a stationary screen. (Think; Pong and Donkey Kong) But SMB had a moving screen, with unseen enemies and challenges off-screen. It was ground-breaking at the time.

I remember my first videogame system. I got a Nintendo when I was in grade 4 and I was so stoked! Playing RBI Baseball and Excitebike all day. Not doing my homework, not getting the exercise I should have, I was a videogame zombie. But I eventually grew out of it (sort of) and got back to playing outside. I'm glad I did, otherwise with all the junk food I ate, I'd be in terrible shape right now.

Video games have changed though haven't they. Now the Ninetendo Wii makes you move around, and actually work up a sweat depending on the game you play. Not to mention the physical activity you get from Guitar Hero. Despite all this, I still think it's more fun to "play" outside.