Wednesday, September 26, 2007

See You At The Pole

This morning I woke up nice and early, jumped in the shower (cause I stink in the morning), threw on some clothes and made my way to 421 Grove St to stand around the flag pole. I arrived promptly at 7 and there may have been 2 people at the pole. I had visions of being back in high school with 3 people standing around the flag pole... But it wasn't like that at all. Slowly people started to trickle in and by the end we had over 40 people surrounding the flag pole. It was a good time of prayer for students, teachers, the school and Barrie, but the hilite for me was something totally different.

3 or 4 times during the prayer time I had someone tap me on the shoulder and ask: "Who died?" It was the same question from each person! I smiled and told them that at this time each year, Christians across North America gather around their school's flag pole and pray for the school, the students and the teachers. Not a single person I talked to thought that was weird, rather most said "Cool." Now after our conversation finished they stuck around for a while watching us, and at one point I felt like I should ask them "Do you want us to pray for you?" But I didn't. I'm kicking myself for missing that opportunity, but the whole experience was a positive one for me.