Saturday, February 23, 2008

Oh! The Controversy!

Tonight on the Slam I interviewed Brian McLaren, who I think is one of the foremost minds in Christianity today.... I knew he was somewhat controversial, but I didn't expect the reaction I got. A number of listeners (primarily adults) expressed their concern with Mr McLaren and the Emergent Church movement. One listener emailed me a quote from the aforementioned Brian McLaren where he suggests that a buddhist who becomes a Christian shouldn't foresake his buddhist friends, and leave the buddhist community. Interesting. I think this emailer mistook what Brian meant. Did he mean he should continue being buddhist? I don't think so. I think he meant he should still "fellowship" with his buddhist friends, and stay true to the christian religion he has become a part of. I mean, if he leaves that community, who will deliver the good news of the gospel message to them? An outsider? I think relationship is one of the best ways to connect with people. If evangelism is the goal, isolating yourself from the secular isn't going to get the job done. Here's an article I found that touches on that point (and many others.)

http://relevantmagazine.com/god_article.php?id=7495

Have a ripper weekend and we'll connect again on Monday!