Tuesday, May 6, 2008

43 Things

About a year ago I was directed to a website called 43 Things. http://www.43things.com/person/AJtheWonderdog It seemed like an interesting idea, so I started to fill it out. Now as I look back, it's kind of depressing. All these things I would like to do, but probably never will. I feel like I might have missed out on life in some ways. Not that I'm too old to achieve it, but I think it gets harder as you grow older and start to accept more responsibility. "Carpe Diem" was preached at us all through High School, and I blew it off for the most part. I don't regret any of my past decisions, not at all. Without those decisions I wouldn't be in the place I am now, and I like my life.

I look at my best friend Mark, he's lived in Australia, California and will now be working as a musician on a cruise ship. SWEET! I look at him, and I'm kind of envious. Maybe it's something I need to work through. I'm content with my life as it is... I love my life. Sometimes I just fear that I'll become another one of those monkeys that spends 12 hours a day at work, constantly trying to make that next rung on the corporate ladder. That's not who I want to become. I see people in management positions, and I say to myself: "Don't ever let yourself become like them." They spend all their time at work, hardly see their family and spend their life in the office. Not what I want for my life.

Although the flipside is also something I don't want to become. The guy that's so happy with his life that he has no goals or dreams. He goes to work, collects his paycheck and misses out on a much richer life. I don't know which is worse, I just know I don't want to find myself at either extreme. This post is likely pretty random and not flowing like it should, but that's how my brain works.