Thursday, October 30, 2008

Theology On Tap

I was flipping through today's Barrie Advance when I stumbled on an article that caught my eye. It's about how one youth worker in Barrie is trying to curb the trend of people in their late teens and 20's leaving church and their faith at home when they move out on their own.
It's an issue that I can identify with. When I moved to Barrie it was hard to find a church with people my age in attendance. I grew up going to youth group and bible studies with friends, only to see them abandon their relationship with God once they were out on their own at university. Since then, I've had a soft-spot for those students in their late teens and early twenties. The people that graduate from youth and are left to fend for themselves. The people that go away to college and are bombarded with all sorts of different worldviews that challenge what they've been brought up to believe.
Well, "Theology On Tap" is an idea that the Catholic church has adopted and run with, and it's coming to Barrie. I'm really impressed. It's an out-of-the-box idea that I think could have great success. Imagine if all of us Jesus people took this kind of step and started thinking of doing "ministry" in a new way. What would this city look like in 5 years? 10 years?

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I wouldn't have expected that from the Catholic church. Good on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool to see what they are doing to reach the lost generation. My hats off to them.

    ReplyDelete