Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Living A Page Turner

I had Donald Miller on the show tonight. He's got a new book out called A Million Miles In A Thousand Years. Basically it's about these film-makers that came over and worked with Don to put his bestseller Blue Like Jazz to film. BUT it's not as easy as you think. Through the process of creating a filmatic masterpiece Don learned a lot about what makes a good story, and up until that point he hadn't been living a good story. So some artistic license had to be taken. The book outlines what goes into making a good story.


I read the early manuscript a couple months ago, and after reading it felt challenged to look at my own story. Was I living a good story, or was I (as Don puts it) trying to buy a volvo. It was a sobering look at what I was working towards and the kind of story I was writing. Not exactly an epic tale. But it's not natural to write a page-turner with your life. It's freakin' scary. So I am in the process of trying to figure out what I can do to write a better story. A story that took a while to take off, but when it did it was a classic.


Get the book, read it, and ask yourself: "What kind of story am I writing?"

No comments:

Post a Comment