Thursday, November 12, 2009

Rules Are Meant To Be Broken

I had a conversation with a friend last weekend about how they think I'm a rule breaker. I disagree, but it got me thinking... Are some people naturally wired as "rule-breakers"? Maybe they are. My brother was always a stickler for the rules. Everything had to be done by the book.

I don't like to break rules, I just break rules that don't have a logical explanation behind them. I like to know "why," and if the explanation isn't good enough, then the rule isn't good enough. There is no "Because I said so" in my mind. I like to work with logic.

For example: The cell phone law. I think it's dumb. The guy eating a Big Mac, driving with his knees and spilling special sauce all over his pants is more dangerous behind the wheel than I am on my phone. Conversely, smoking in the car with a baby in the back seat is not a good idea, no matter how you slice it. Some rules are good (no smoking with a baby in the car) and some rules are ridiculous (the new cellphone law).

Which one are you? A rule follower, or a rule breaker?


No comments:

Post a Comment