Thursday, December 17, 2009

3 Tough Days

When we "bought" our new house 2 years ago, people said aside from divorce, buying a house is the most stressful thing you can do.

I laughed it off. ("Come on, I've moved before. It's no big deal.")

Well the last 3 days have proved me wrong! I take that back, the last 2 years has proved me wrong.
Wondering if we'll ever move in, visiting an empty lot with a couple months to go, to starting to look elsewhere for a house, to picking the cabinets and colors, it was a real roller coaster. Mix in Crystal losing her job one year ago and a 7 month stretch on one income and looking back I laugh. This is not how we planned it. That wasn't supposed to be part of the story.

The last 3 days had its own share of stress. From emergency trips to Toronto to fill out paperwork, to spending all day on the phone (or on hold) with insurance companies, lawyers and the bank, to having my cell phone ring off the hook with another unexpected snag in the process, it's been a busy (and hectic) couple of days.

There were times along the way where I wondered what was wrong with me. I wasn't stressing at all. To be honest, I wondering if my stress meter was broken. My wife just lost her job and we're trying to save for a house, I should be a wreck. I wasn't. I like to think God sheltered me from those stressful feelings. But a couple weeks ago I made the mistake of asking God why I wasn't stressing, like I wanted the stress.

Well I got it.

The last 3 days I've felt nauseous, lost my appetite and was sure I was giving myself an ulcer. I hated it. The stress was overwhelming at times, and it was not fun.

But at 5:08 today, when I stuck the key into the door lock and entered our new home for the first time (as the owner) it was all worth it. I LOVE this house, and looking at the glimmer in Crystal's eyes I know she does too.

I can't wait for the BBQ's, the celebrations with friends, the opportunities the have people over for dinner, the family Christmas get-togethers. The opportunities to share, connect and dream.

There is no way this house should have happened. The timing, the issues, the uncertainty. I believe God's blessing was on this entire house process and I want to honor that by using it in a way that pleases him.

I'm not sure what that means, but I'm excited for what God has next for us. He hasn't let us down yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment