Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cage Of Responsibility

As I scrolled through my Google Reader today I'd say about 80% of the posts had to do with the Haiti earthquake. Most had links to the Red Cross, Compassion International or Doctors Without Borders. While these are great ways to help out and give to the rebuilding of life in Haiti, I can't bring myself to do it.


It sucks.


I gave a small amount, more out of obligation than anything. But I feel like it's not enough. I feel like God wants us to do more than write a cheque. I could give a million dollars and still feel the same way. Maybe it's our North American culture, where we pull out the check-book when someone is in need. Like if we give some money, that gets us off the hook.


If I had a million dollars, I think I would rather spend it on airfare, accommodations and supplies, and send a group of people to Haiti to help. Those people would interact with the Haitians, build relationships, and be there to be a tangible evidence of what Jesus was all about. And not only would they have the opportunity to see God move in the lives of the victims of the earthquake, but God would also do some work on them too. You'd change 2 lives for the "price" of one. Ya see what I mean?


I can't just write a cheque, or pack up some clothes and ship them off. I want to be there. I want to get my hands dirty. I want to be broken by the tragedy. I want to weep with the mom who lost her 2 children. I want to tell the kid who lost his family and friends and feels totally abandoned that there is a God who loves him infinitely more than he can imagine and will not abandon him.


I want so badly to go, but I find myself in the Cage Of Responsibility, and can't get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment