Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Best I've Ever Seen

The Dallas Stars announced today what we saw coming 4 months ago.  22 years after being the first overall pick in the NHL Entry Draft, the 40 year-old Modano has played his final game in a Stars uniform.  He still wants to play, but the Stars announced today that he is not in their plans for next season.

I remember watching a much younger Mike Modano skating up the ice with so little effort, his jersey flowing in the wind behind him, making it look like the opposition had stopped skating to admire his skill.  He made the game look so easy.  He quickly became my favourite player, and I quickly became a fan of the Dallas Stars.

Come September I will not be seeing the great #9 suit up for the Stars.  Even in the past couple years, despite his age and declining skills, he still sent shivers up my spine when he'd take the puck in his own end and lead a rush up the ice.  I'm going to miss it.

He has said he'd like to keep playing, possibly in San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim or Phoenix.  I hope not.  4 division rivals?  Come on Mikey!  That's like Doug Gilmour going to play for the Habs or Sens.  Or like Steve Yzerman ending his OHL career with the Oshawa Generals. It's just not right.  Modano was (and still is) the face of the Dallas Stars.

Mike, it pains me to say this, but please retire.  Don't ride off into the sunset in a Sharks or Ducks jersey.  Please?





Although... if he signs with Phoenix, and they move to Hamilton, maybe I could get him to sign the #9 Stars jersey I have?

NAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment