Thursday, June 28, 2012

Where'd You Go?

Without much warning, 8 and a half weeks ago I disappeared. I'm sorry for scaring some of you, but I was given an amazing opportunity that I couldn't say 'no' to.

Crystal had this crazy idea that I take the final 8 weeks of parental leave, and she'll go back to work.

8 weeks of vacation in May & June? Sure!

I don't think she offered to be nice. There was an ulterior motive.

It was no vacation, the first week or two was intense! Here I was, thinking Crystal just watched tv all day while the baby entertained himself or slept. Not even close.

There was laundry to do.
Baby food to make.
Grocery shopping to do.
Meals to cook.
A house to try and keep (somewhat) clean.
PLUS a baby to entertain/play with/educate/watch.

Once I got over the initial shock of how much work needed to be done, I really started to enjoy it. Kyler and I would go to the park, play in the backyard, go grocery shopping together and play with his toys.

It was amazing how much he grew up in those 8 short weeks. He's climbing (up and down) stairs, laughing and playing more, walking along furniture and even communicating via grunts and finger points.

Now that the 8 weeks is over, I look back and have a much greater appreciation for the work Crystal did for the first 10 months, and I feel like Kai and I have bonded in a way that might not have happened had I just worked over those 2 months. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Will I miss being a stay-at-home dad? Yes, but coming in to work provides a nice break in my day. 
(Just kidding Scott, you keep me plenty busy.)



1 comment:

  1. Loved this blog and that you had an eye opening experience to being home with a baby. Especially during this phase of their life. Mia is all over the place now, I can't turn away for a second so life is even busier!

    ReplyDelete