Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Affecting My Headspace

A link to this post came across my screen today and, as much as I don't want to admit it, it got a reaction from me.

I was mad.
I was frustrated.
"How could he say that?!?"
So churches that are trying to reach their communities with the message of Christ are doing it wrong?
What about "The Great Commission"?

I'm assuming that was the goal of the post, to get a rise out of people.

There are certain topics that will fire me up. When someone talks badly about my family, friends, faith or the Dallas Stars.

I remember reading a post by Cameron Strang from Relevant about how he deals with people who complain about something they read in the magazine. His initial reaction is to do the exact opposite of what they say.

You think that's bad? Just wait 'til you see what's in next month's issue!

He maintains that reaction is not the right one.

(It may not be the right one, but it's still my go-to reaction.)

The proper reaction is to ignore it.

When you react, you are giving the person permission to affect the way you think. You've likely heard people say: “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent” or “Don’t take it so personally.” When you give your consent to that person to fill your mind with their ideas it affects you. It affects your mood, productivity and opinions.

It's tough, but we need to be careful about who/what we allow past the gates, and into our head.

As my Dad used to say: "Like water off a ducks back"

No comments:

Post a Comment