Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Face Behind the Facade

Ever notice how certain themes tend to pop-up in life?
The same theme/topic comes up in multiple unrelated conversations over a number of days.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend on Saturday night. We were talking about why we enjoyed certain tv/radio shows, and we discovered we like shows that have flaws.
Shows that don't pretend to be awesome.
Shows that make mistakes and don't downplay their humanity.

The conversation soon moved on to something else, and I didn't give it much more thought.

Then yesterday a video showed up in my Facebook feed. It's an 11-minute film, based on 30 Seconds To Mars song "City Of Angels". I like 30 Seconds To Mars, so I decided to give it 12 minutes of my day.

As I sat and watched, I found myself getting emotional. I was moved.
Maybe it was the cinematography.
Maybe it was the music.
Maybe it was because it's California.
I think it was because of the interviews with LA residents.

There is something to be said for authenticity.
That's why my friend and I like those shows.
That's why this short film/music video moved me.
That's why baptism stories are so impactful.

The facade is torn down and we get to see imperfections. Scars. Hurts.

Imagine the impact we could have as the church if we stopped pretending we have it all together.
If we stopped hiding our scars.
If we stopped pretending we don't struggle with our faith.
If we were honest about who we really are.

After all, honesty is the best policy, right?

Here's the video.

*NOTE: There are a couple swears*

No comments:

Post a Comment